Portia A. Cosby



Status: Divorced

Children: 1, 7 years old

Books: 3

A novelist, poet, and screenwriter. Her distinct style addresses controversial issues and relates them to the African-American community. She holds an Associate of Science degree in Film and Video Production and a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology/Athletic Training. After revisiting an old screenplay that she wrote in the ninth grade, she decided to fully embrace her passion for writing and turned Too Little, Too Late into a novel.

A native of Indianapolis, Indiana, Portia divides her time between Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, and Stone Mountain, Georgia. She is a proud member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. and enjoys playing with her daughter, watching movies, and listening to music in her spare time. She is currently working on her next novel.

BEHIND THE BOOKS

How long have you been writing? I've been writing for 18 years. I started writing poetry and what I called movie scripts in ninth grade. I wrote my first novel 10 years ago.
What is a typical day in your life like? I get up at 6 or 6:30, and get myself and my daughter ready for work and school. My workday often lasts until 7pm; sometimes until 9 or 11. I'm able to get some writing done at work sometimes, so I'll sneak in a few words when I can. If I'm up to it, I try to write when I get home after I check my daughter's homework or help her complete it.

How supportive is your family when it comes to a deadline? My mother helps a lot with my daughter. I don't ask her to accommodate me when it comes to deadlines, because she already does enough.

What do you wish to accomplish with each book? With each book, I hope to entertain and enlighten. I introduce controversial issues that make readers wonder how they would handle the situations if they were in my characters' shoes. I also like to give readers characters that will stay with them for years to come.

What female authors have influenced you? Terry McMillan and Lolita Files have been major influences on me.

Stay tuned next week as we highlight another incredible woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment