Trelani Duncan

Author Spotlight 2013

It is FOR and ABOUT authors. Here we shine the light on authors who we’ve read, reviewed and recommend to others. In this edition we are shining our light on another gifted author…

Trelani Duncan

I am probably the most arrogant, humble, timid, courageous, fragile, thick-skinned, intelligent, yet ignorant black girl that you will ever me meet. As Octavia Butler said best, “I am an oil and water combination.” I’m brimming and bubbling with passion and it has finally exploded into every area of my life.

I love life. I love learning. I love love. I learn from everything: internal and external, young and old, black and white, foolish and wise. Yet the more I learn, the more that I learn just how little I know.

I am Joan, Maya, Toni, Lynn, and even Monica. I am Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda. I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and a student and God forbid, should any of these titles be terminated then I will write about it.

Therefore, I am a writer.

Reading and writing has always been my thing. I was the kid reading under the covers with a flashlight. I would save my lunch money so that I could shut the book fair down and to this day, I have shoeboxes full of journals. I knew that I would eventually become an author and my journey started after I’d read about five horrible books in a row and decided to go for it. As Toni Morrison said best, “Write the book you want to read.”

I did exactly that and now have one published novel, "What the Devil Meant for Bad," and a mini three-book series, "Black Mail: Books 1-3." My next book, "Getting Across," is due to be released this December. I'm also coauthoring a work of nonfiction, "So You Want to Write: How Not to Suck."

GETTING TO KNOW TRELANI…

What song do you listen to when you're having a bad day and why? India Arie’s “Wings of Forgiveness.” It reminds me that this moment is only the NOW. I’ve been through so much and I have so much more to look forward to. Release the negative energies and move on.

If you had to create your favorite milkshake what would it include? Milkshakes equal bubble guts. No thanks!

Truth or Dare. Which one were you? Dare! Let’s do it!

What is the last movie you watched that made you laugh so hard you cried? “Life” with that crazy behind Martin, Eddie, Bernie, and everybody else. Watch it five times in a row and you’ll have abs. I promise.

Every woman should carry a… weapon and an emergency stash of cash...in her purse. The weapon is of her preference. Mine is a pen knife. My mother’s is a bible.

What is the ringtone on your cell phone? The old school ring, ring, ring.

If you had one wish, what would it be? I wish that neither money nor health was an issue for anyone.

Who is someone from your past you're sorry you lost track of? Not a soul. They were lost in the past for good reason.

Pen or pencil? Pen.

What’s one question that you hate to be asked? I hate all questions that begin with “what’s your favorite.”

PRAISE FOR WHAT THE DEVIL MEANT FOR BAD

What the Devil Meant for Bad

"’What the Devil Meant for Bad’ is thoroughly engrossing and is simply riveting. The character was so real…When you're finished reading this book, if your life hasn't been altered or your questions still aren't clear...then open up your Bible and finish receiving what God has for you!” - Crystal Green

“AWESOME!! Kept my interest peaked...Took my on a journey....Characters were REAL!! A definite page turner. DRAMA.....Some surprises along the way...Totally a great read I recommend it highly!!” - Jarvis D. Dean

“WHAT THE DEVIL MEANT FOR BAD by T.M. Duncan is engaging from start to finish…This is definitely a story worthy of a recommendation.” - OOSA “

Great read, kept you wanting more. The main character was real, she wasn't perfect and didn't give up. This book shows how far a person can make it with God in their life. Can not wait to see what the next book has to come.” – D. Hearon

“I have often appreciated books that show the evolution of a person. This book, for me, represents so much more. It showcases the evolution of a person's soul...I enjoyed this book immensely and look forward to more from this up and coming writer!” – B. Mitchell

For more information about Trelani, please visit:
Web: www.SoFundamental.com
Twitter: @So_Fundamental
FB: T.M.Duncan
Google+: Trelani Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment