Michael Evans

Author Spotlight 2013

It is FOR and ABOUT authors. Here we shine the light on authors who we’ve read, reviewed and recommend to others. In this edition we are shining our light on another gifted author...

Michael Evans

Michael Evans was once one of the top three-card Monte dealers in Midtown Manhattan during the '80s. No stranger to redemption in an urban setting, Michael grew up in poverty on the streets of the Bronx. His early life was in a home with an alcoholic mother, no father, and his mother's cousin Reggie, whose moral compass was “totally bizarre, buck wild and crazy.” He wrote his autobiographical work It Was All in the Cards: The Life and Times of Midtown Mike.

Over the past 27 years, Michael Evans evolved from a conniving street hustler to a responsible father of two, and believe it or not, he's now a retired corrections officer. His works of urban literature are redemption-themed.

GETTING TO KNOW MIKE…

What would you do with a million dollars? I would invest some of it in mutual funds. $400,000 in an annuity and then take my wife on a long vacation. I know in real life one million dollars is only $600,000 after the taxman cometh.

How do you want to be remembered? I want to be remembered as a guy who changed his life around from being a hustler slash conman in Midtown Manhattan to becoming a retired State Peace officer, critically acclaimed author of eleven years and a positive role model for others. I am also a real father to my two sons even after growing up without a father due to suicide

What is your favorite word? Results.

In your opinion, what makes a great relationship? I think not being a phony person who is deceitful and untrustworthy can make for great relationships. Some people wear different masks in life to please others but in due time their true nature gets revealed. I choose to treat people the way I want to get treated and also not act like I am better than them. Never let your ego get bigger than your accomplishments.

You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere. You have to depart right now. Where are you going go? The Promised Land.Just joking. I would go to Las Vegas with my Diva wife because I have never been there.

My weirdest phobia is: I am claustrophobic and have a fear of being trapped inside anything. I also have a fear of being broke so I protect my hard-earned finances. When I was a child we were so poor that I would go to the store with just one penny to buy a piece of candy. Nowadays pennies and even dollars are worth practically nada.

What do you think of reality TV? I hate reality TV because a lot of times it depicts people in a bad way - dummies, haters, superficial, sluts, and only caring about themselves or what they can get. People are more than what's being portrayed.

Were you named after anyone? My name Michael comes from the bible. The funny thing is, when my mother was mad at me she would scream,"Mike-ka."

Are you a daredevil? Yes, I am a daredevil. I once jumped from a cliff into 20 feet of water at Action Park. I can also remember as a child jumping from six-story abandoned buildings on to dirty mattresses without a care in the world.

What is the last movie you watched that you'd recommend? ‘Pride and Glory’ with actor Colin Farrell. It is a great movie about corrupt cops who wind up getting their just due. Life has taught me that if you do dirt, you get dirt.

PRAISE FOR SON OF A SNITCH

Son of A Snitch

“Michael Evans has written a compelling story of life on the streets. His characters are well fleshed out and believable…It is an interesting read and I would recommend it to anyone interested in what really happens on the streets.” - The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers

“’Son of A Snitch’ examines the repercussions of a father's actions on a family. Actions that he thought would spare his family only cause them greater harm. Michael Evan's storyline is dark and disturbing as readers watch Jessie's mental state deteriorate and not to mention the sick relationship between Jessie and Crystal. Dark and disturbed withstanding ‘Son of A Snitch’ proves to be a fulfilling read.” – Delonya Conyers

PRAISE FOR SON OF A SNITCH Part Two: The Bastard

The Bastard

“’Son of a Snitch Part II: The Bastard’ will appeal to readers of its predecessor ‘Son of a Snitch.’ Michael Evans again weaves a fast-paced, well-written story and brings freshness to this genre. With its solid plot and good use of characters, this is an entertaining read.” - OOSA

“I read book 2 and it was a better read than part one.” – Kimmy

It Was All In The CardsSon of A Snitch 3

For more information about Michael Evans, please visit: http://www.authormichaelevans.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment