Shamara Ray


Spotlight
It is FOR and ABOUT authors. Here we shine the light on authors who we’ve read, reviewed and recommend to others. In this edition we are shining our light on another gifted author...
Shamara Ray

Shamara Ray is a graduate of Syracuse University. She first enticed readers with her debut novel, Recipe for Love. Ray has a penchant for the culinary arts and enjoys entertaining friends and family in her Long Island home. She is currently working on her next novel.

GETTING TO KNOW SHAMARA…

What is your favorite type of music? That’s a tough question because I love so many types of music—R&B, jazz, rap, salsa and even some rock. Right now, I’m really into Rihanna and Brandy’s latest CDs. However, I have a special place in my heart for classic R&B from the 80’s. Turn on some Chaka, Prince, or The Whispers and I’m ready for an old school par-tay!

If I could go anywhere for a day, I would go...Relax on a hot, sandy beach in Aruba. I cannot get enough of that island. It’s the perfect place to chill and unwind. The water is warm, there’s always a gentle breeze and the Arubans are extremely pleasant. As I watch the cold rain fall outside of my window, I’m tempted to call my travel agent.

I think all women should own at least one...Cookbook. That may seem a bit archaic to some but, when it comes to romance, you know what they say … the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. I love to cook and have learned that creating a sexy dish in the kitchen usually sets the tone for a delicious dessert afterward. If you don’t believe me, start the evening with a glass of wine and my Shrimp Puffs from Recipe for Love, then see what develops.

      Shrimp Puffs



        1 cup chopped uncooked shrimp – peeled and deveined



          1 ½ cup all purpose flour



            1 ¼ cup milk



              1 stick salted butter plus 1 tablespoon



                6 eggs



                  1 cup shredded parmesan cheese



                    1 minced garlic clove



                      2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme



                        2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary



                          1 teaspoon salt



                            ½ teaspoon black pepper



                              In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add garlic, rosemary and thyme and sauté one minute. Add shrimp and sauté until cooked approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.



                                In a saucepan boil milk and butter together. Turn heat to low and add flour, stirring continuously until the dough comes together. Remove from heat and let cool.


                              Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

                              Once the dough is cool add eggs one at a time and stir with a wooden spoon. Dough will be stiff.

                              After incorporating the eggs, add the shrimp and mix. Stir in the cheese.

                              Spray a mini-muffin pan with non-stick spray.

                              Drop a tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 15 minutes.

                              Remove shrimp puffs from pan and serve immediately.

                              Yields 48 puffs

                              What would you do with a million dollars? There are a few things that I would love to do with a million dollars. Before anything else, I would set aside a reasonable amount for savings/investments. I’d also invest in a niche eatery, either a breakfast bar or sandwich shoppe, which would be the go-to spot for my culinary creations. I would definitely purchase a writing oasis in the country or maybe on an island—a small place where I could enjoy a bit of solitude while writing my novels. Lastly, I’m a part of a wonderful group of women that have formed Karama Inc. Karama’s mission is to mentor young urban girls of color by exposing them to the opportunities available to them, while building their esteem and showing them how beautiful they are inside and out. I would use a portion of my million dollars to support Karama; we are always working to raise funds for larger, more impactful activities.

                              What do you do on Sundays? Sundays = Me Time. I enjoy a Sunday spent close to home with no hustle and bustle. Whether I’m writing, rollerblading, listening to music, cooking or entertaining family and friends, Sunday is all about what I want to do.

                              What is the last movie you went to see? Resident Evil: Retribution. My family is full of horror buffs. I went to see the latest installment in the Resident Evil franchise with my mom, sister and two nieces. It wasn’t the best movie, but Mr. Boris Kodjoe made it bearable.

                              You won't believe I've never...Gone to see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. Will my Native New Yorker card be revoked now?

                              Once in a lifetime chance, a date with any actor/athlete/celebrity/musician of your choosing. Who do you go out with? I would have to go out with Prince. Although I don’t play an instrument, his creativity and musicianship inspires me. I would love to pick his brain to see what makes him tick. I believe we can always learn something from others and Prince’s devotion to his craft is inspirational. Of course, he’d also have to sing one of his sexy songs to me during the date. I would most definitely request Adore.

                              What is the bravest thing you've done in your writing career? Allowing my father to read my spicy novels (and convincing him that I’m not a character in the books)!

                              I wish I could stop * my preoccupation with the passage of time* but I seriously can't help it. I’m still trying to figure out where 2012 went! Overall, it was a great year!

                              PRAISE FOR RECIPE FOR LOVE
                              Recipe For Love

                              “This book was very good. I enjoyed it!!! I also tried some of the recipes in the back of the book. They were excellent and easy to make.” – Pamela

                              “I could not put this book down. It was very good and very well written. I thought the author touched on a lot of topics that we women face or must face when going through relationships...the good and bad, the ups and downs.” – Miss. Jai

                              “Do not pass this book up because I think if you read it, you'll come away with the same feeling as me. Ahhhh...” – Jason Frost

                              PRAISE FOR CLOSE QUARTERS
                              Close Quarters

                              “This is my first book by this author and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.” – L. Tindal

                              “This author has quickly become one of my favorites with just two books so far. I loved this book. Great Read!” - Viviette L. Carr

                              “What I did encounter reading Shamara Ray's book was pure excitement. This book reeled me in with a solid storyline, unforgettable characters, humor, surprising plot twists, and steamy love scenes.” - OOSA

                              No comments:

                              Post a Comment