The Real Housewives of Literature - WEEK THREE


Celebrating Women's History Month

Women's History Month

March is Women's History Month! Celebrate with us as we recognize and highlight just a few women making a mark in the literary industry as we bring you...

The Real Housewives of Literature

They are mothers, wives, daughters, aunts and sisters, yet they have found time to make a name for themselves and pursue their dreams.

O.O.S.A.'s goal is to not only acknowledge African American women in literature, but to educate and encourage others. We hope that you will join us as we recognize, respect and applaud their efforts as these phenomenal women make history or in this case, HERstory!

Kimberla Lawson Roby

Status: Married
Children: 1 stepson
Books: 18

Kimberla Lawson Roby is the author of 18 novels which have frequented numerous bestseller lists, including The New York Times, USA Today, The Washington Post, Publishers Weekly, Essence Magazine, Upscale Magazine, Emerge Magazine, Barnes and Noble, Amazon.com, Wal-Mart, The Dallas Morning News, and The Austin Chronicle. Kimberla is a 2013 NAACP Image Award Nominee for Outstanding Literary Work – Fiction. Each of her novels deal with very real issues, including corruption within the church, drug addiction, gambling addiction, infidelity, social status, single motherhood, infertility, sibling rivalry and jealousy, domestic violence, sexual abuse, mental illness, care-giving of a parent, racial and gender discrimination in the workplace, sexual harassment, overweight issues, and drug addiction to name a few.

Kimberla resides in Illinois with her husband, Will. Her 19th novel, A House Divided, will be released in May of 2013.

Behind the Books

How long have you been writing? I have been writing since April 1995 (18 years).

What is a typical day in your life like? When I'm writing the first draft of my novels, I write every day for 10 - 12 hours. Every now and then, I'll write a little longer on certain days. When I'm not writing, however, I spend all my time with my husband, other family members and closest friends. Also, my favorite place to be is at home, relaxing with my husband.

How supportive is your family when it comes to a deadline? My family is extremely supportive of my deadlines. My husband makes sure we have meals every day, and he handles many of the responsibilities I would normally handle when I'm not writing. Then, as far as family members and friends, unless it is an emergency, they don't call or visit until they know I've completed my manuscript. If they do call, they'll leave messages such as, "I was just checking on you, but don't call me back until you've finished your book!" I have been blessed with the most supportive husband, family and friends in the world, and I am so very grateful for them.

What do you wish to accomplish with each book? With each novel I write, my hope is to entertain my readers, but I also hope to help at least one person and hopefully many. I always make sure to convey some sort of moral message or lesson in every story.

What female authors have influenced you? Bebe Moore Campbell, Terry McMillan and Connie Briscoe.

Stay tuned next week as we highlight another phenomenal woman!

The Reverend Curtis Black Series

Casting the First StoneToo Much of A Good ThingThe Best-Kept SecretLove & LiesSin No MoreThe Best of EverythingBe Careful What You Pray ForLove, Honor, And BetrayThe Reverend's WifeA House Divided

Stand Alone Titles

Behind Closed DoorsHere and NowIt's A Thin LineA Taste of RealityChanging FacesOne In A MillionA Deep Dark SecretSecret ObsessionThe Perfect Marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment